+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Store Sketchpad Documents Locally on your iPad

How to Store Sketchpad Documents Locally on your iPad

Sometimes you might want to play with Sketchpad Explorer on your iPad when you don't have an Internet signal. Here's how to load files locally. Click on the screencaps to enlarge them.

1) Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Click on the Apps link at the top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad Local Step 1.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	56

2) Scroll down to the bottom of the Apps page and click on SketchExplorer in the list of Apps. Then drag the desired sketches from your computer into the SketchExplorer Documents area.

Name:	iPad Local Step 2.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	57

3) Now you'll be able to access those sketches from the SketchExplorer Documents menu.

Name:	iPad Local Step 3.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	58

don't see a document window. would not accept a drag and drop. how do you do this ya'll.?

Hi,
    I need a bit more information to help you with this.
    You can double-click on the screencaps above to enlarge them, that might help. Can you tell me where you got stuck? Did you find SketchExplorer in the list of Apps in iTunes?

Can you save sketches on your iPad without connecting to a computer?

Nevermind.

Hi,

Now you've left me curious as to how you solved your original question. If your question was about using your iPad to make changes to a sketch and then saving the changes, the answer, unfortunately, is that you cannot do that yet.

But if your question was about getting sketches onto your iPad from some external source, I suspect that your solution was to email the sketch to yourself and open the email on your iPad. The other likely possibilities are to use Safari (by navigating to a web site that contains a downloadable sketch) or to use DropBox (by opening a drop box that contains a sketch). If you used some other method, please share it!

Happy sketching,
    --Scott

I'm not making any changes to the original sketches, just viewing them. I found the post about creating an exchange key and then changing in in settings on the ipad.

Of course! Thank you -- somehow I failed to mention that option in my April 7 post. That is indeed one of the best ways to get Sketchpad documents to your iPad: upload them from your desktop computer to Sketch Exchange, and then it's easy for the iPad to access them there.

Now that I have sketches stored locally on my iPad, can I organize those sketches? Now they appear in a long list. I'm wondering if folders can be created within Sketchpad Explorer.

Hi Mike,

As far as I can tell, there's no easy way to use iTunes to put an entire folder in local iPad storage for Sketchpad Explorer. DropBox is one reasonable way of accessing folders of sketches, but it doesn't solve the need for local storage when not connected to the internet. Sorry I don't have a better solution for you.

+ Reply to Thread