+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Angle measurements

Angle measurements

Hi,
    I would like angle measurements to show up on my diagrams instead of as separate text boxes. Is there any way to do this?
    Chase

Angle Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Hi,
    I would like angle measurements to show up on my diagrams instead of as separate text boxes. Is there any way to do this?
    Chase
    Hi Chase,

Yes, you can do this. Construct the angle bisector and construct a point on it. Then select the angle measurement and the point, press Shift, and select Merge Text to Point from the Edit menu. Then you can hide the angle bisector and point. The text will stay in the middle of the angle, wherever you positioned the point. See the attached sketch. AngleMeasures.gsp

For more complete instructions, go to the Reference Center (under the Help menu in Sketchpad) and search for "Text Objects".

(By the way, I moved your post into the Construction Questions forum.)

Best,

Elizabeth

Sketchpad Developer

Positioning Angle Measurements

In response to a recent technical support request, I created a custom tool that does this in one step, with a result that looks like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SketchpadScreenSnapz386.png
Views:	235
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	49

The tool creates an angle marker, centers the measurement in the middle of the marker, and allows you to drag the measurement up to 150 pixels away from the vertex. You can change the properties of the angle marker to any of the four possible definitions -- simple, reflex, clockwise, or counterclockwise -- and the tool will still work correctly, whether the angle is simple or reflex. (Both clockwise and counterclockwise markers can result in reflex angles depending on the positions of the initial and terminal sides of the angle. With such angles you do need to have angle unit preferences set to either directed degrees or radians for the tool to work properly.)

The angle bisector construction that Elizabeth described is easier to make and works fine for simple angles, so it's also a perfectly good solution most of the time.
    Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread