+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Default settings for labels

Default settings for labels

When adding labels to sketches I always use bold 24 size font. I can't find a way to make this the default setting for labels. Does this function exist? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrayton View Post
    When adding labels to sketches I always use bold 24 size font. I can't find a way to make this the default setting for labels. Does this function exist? Thanks
    Yes, if you have Sketchpad 5 you can set styles for Labels, Captions, etc. In Preferences, press the Change Individual Styles button. Then you'll get a Text Styles window that allows you to set the size and style of the fonts for different types of text, including labels. Click Apply to New Sketches to make it a default setting for all new sketches. I'm attaching screen caps; click to enlarge them. (I'm working on a Mac but the functionality is the same on Windows.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Preferences.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	42Click image for larger version

Name:	TextStyles.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	41

I have a diagram that has labels of varied size and boldness and I don't know how to make them all the same size. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scameron View Post
    I have a diagram that has labels of varied size and boldness and I don't know how to make them all the same size. Can anyone help me? Thanks
    Here's one way: Use the Arrow tool to draw a selection box around all of the objects in the sketch with labels. Then select the size, font, and style you want in the Text Palette. (If the Text Palette isn't visible, choose Display | Show Text Palette). Hope this helps!

That worked! All the labels on that figure match style. Thanks.

Now I want to get a bit fancier. I have a quadrilateral with labeled points and the labels for the side segments showing. I can now select the whole thing and change all those labels at the same time the same way. But what if I wanted to "cherry pick" and just select one point or segment label to bold or enlarge? Can I do that or is it all or nothing?

On a related matter: When I create a polygon I can get Sketchpad to measure the length of the sides and it gives them to me in the form of mAB = 5.4 cm (of course it puts the bar over the AB). But if I ask it to label the segments, then I can't ever seem to get the length reported that way again. I can hide the labels, but I can't figure out how to make Sketchpad forget I asked for them.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I can help with the first question: You can select any individual object with a label and use the Text Palette to edit the font size and style of the label. (Just like you can select any point or segment and change its size/thickness/color in the Display menu.)

I don't know the answer to your second question, so I'll appeal to a Sketchpad developer to help out with that one.

Elizabeth

Sketchpad Developer

Labeling Segment Length Using Endpoint Labels

Hi, your observation is correct: once an object has a label, you can hide the label, but not remove it entirely. That leaves you with three options for showing the segment length using its endpoints A and B rather than its own label j:

1. Instead of the segment length, measure the distance between endpoints. The label will appear as AB = 2.4 cm (without an overbar) rather than as mAB = 2.4 cm (with an overbar).

2. Delete the segment, reconstruct it, and remeasure it. The new unlabeled segment will once again be segment AB (with overbar).

3. Use one of the custom tools in the attached sketch. I created these tools by using Hot Text to show the length using the labels of the endpoints. The "attached" version also attaches the measurement to the segment, so that it acts somewhat similarly to a normal label, even though it's actually a measurement.

I hope this helps!
    --Scott
    Attached Files

Okay, I was trying to click on the label itself instead of the object.
    thanks again!

I think for my purposes at this time, option 2 works best (just a little tedious to redo my segments). But the others are great to know about too.
    Thanks so much!

+ Reply to Thread