+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arrow key step size

Arrow key step size

I like to use the (right and left) arrow keys to adjust slider values, especially near the desired value. The "step" size seems to be plus or minus 0.06 or 0.07, that is the slider value will increment or decrement (right or left arrow) by either amount. How can I set the step size, for arrow keys, to - reliably - 0.01? Preferably, can the step size be set to a desired magnitude of my choice?

Arrow key step size

Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    I like to use the (right and left) arrow keys to adjust slider values, ... Preferably, can the step size be set to a desired magnitude of my choice?
    Hi Hulk, if the slider is horizontal or vertical, the matching arrows will always move the selected point by exactly one pixel at a time. What this means is that if you make a horizontal slider as a segment 100 pixels in length, the value of the slider point will change by exactly 0.01 with each press of a horizontal arrow key. Or you can make the slider 500 pixels long, multiply the slider point's value by 5 so that the resulting value will range from 0.00 to 5.00, and this value will also change by 0.01 with each press of the arrow key. Or you can construct line AB with A and B 100 pixels apart and get values that step by 0.01 per arrow keypress, with the values limited only by the window size.

BTW, the arrow keys do exactly what the mouse would do when dragging a horizontal slider. You'll find that dragging carefully and slowly with the mouse gives you exactly the same behavior as pressing the arrow keys.

Note that you can also create a parameter, select it, and press the + or – key to change its value similarly -- but with a parameter you have explicit control over the step size in the parameter's Properties dialog box.

I hope this helps!
    --Scott

+ Reply to Thread