+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Action buttons

Lightbulb Action buttons

Hi,

Can someone please explain why the action buttons rearrange themselves to a different order when I use Cmd shift to tidy up my presentation. I find myself getting lost when trying to insert other buttons where I know they should go. Is there a better way to control their behaviour?

Kind regards,
    Ceorl

Hi Ceorl,

When you select the buttons with a selection rectangle, they are actually selected in the order in which they were constructed. So you need to select them one at a time rather than as an entire group.

When I want to select a group of buttons or other text objects in a particular order that's different from the construction order, and I do it repeatedly with the same objects, I sometimes select them and then make a Hide/Show button. Then by selecting the Hide/Show button and choosing Edit | Select Parents, I get the objects selected in the desired order.

--Scott
    Last edited by Scott; 06-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Thank you for your help.
    I was inserting action buttons into an already well defined sequence expecting them to act accordingly because I had placed them in order for selection to present.
    My first experiment in part presentation worked well. I selected the buttons and used the Cmd Shift option only to find them shuffling to a new order that made nonsense of the sketch when manually selecting them in that new order. Silly me, I get the gist of it now. Being somewhat new to GSP 5.05 I find it strange to unhide some sketches, especially the complex ones, only to find numerous buttons, parameters and text objects all somewhat layered on top of one another. This has caused me to wonder what happens when trying to correct for a procedure that entails omission of objects.

Ceorl

Hi Ceorl,

You wrote, "This has caused me to wonder what happens when trying to correct for a procedure that entails omission of objects."

Fortunately in some cases you can use the Split and Merge commands to change the parent-child relationships in the sketch. (In some situations you must hold the Shift key when pulling down the menu to enable Split and Merge. We did this to avoid confusing novice users when, for instance, the object to be split is already physically far from the parent from which it will be split -- but it has the unfortunate effect that more sophisticated users like you may not be aware of some of the situations in which you can use these commands. The Reference Center page on the Split/Merge command has all the details.)

Unfortunately, you can't use Split/Merge to modify the parents of an action button, and this may be one of the things you most want to do. There's no alternative at this time other than to create a new action button from your desired set of parents, which may then entail changing another action button, etc. Solving this problem is on our list of desired features, though we don't have any projection at this time as to when it might be implemented.

You also mentioned various objects "layered on top of one another." For future editing, it's always best to arrange objects, even hidden ones, in a clear and logical order. (I must admit that I sometimes fail to do this; since the objects are hidden it doesn't usually matter to anyone but me.) There are a few methods I use that may be of some help. (1) The standard one I mentioned before: select the jumble of measurements, parameters, captions, and buttons and then hold Shift while pressing Return to left-align them in construction order. (2) If you want the measurements, parameters, and captions, but not buttons, choose the Text tool and then choose Edit | Select All Text. Then use Shift-Return to put them in construction order. (3) Once they're in construction order, it's possible to select certain desired objects if they're either longer or shorter than the other objects, by using a selection rectangle to catch the right-hand edges of the objects you want. (4) Finally, there's the method I mentioned before: select the desired objects manually and then make a Hide/Show button, so that it's easy to select the same objects later by selecting the action button and choosing Edit | Select Parents.

--Scott

Hi Scott,

I completed the first part of a construction - Euclid Bk II prop 6. using the bisection tool at every stage. This was a experiment on construction with induction of the proposition in GSP.

My construction initially failed due to lines disappearing when a dynamic control point was manually moved.
    I have noticed lines disappearing in others' sketches and - in general - took this to be a common occurrence. I showed all hidden objects and found my problem to be the lack of constraints. Relative inexperience of action buttons was the reason for my post. Your advice and instruction has caused me to rethink my approach in preparing sketches for GSP. Thanks.

Ceorl

+ Reply to Thread