+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sketch Exchange Suggestions

When sharing a sketch with other teachers, I noticed that the URL for each sketch is relative to your navigation. (In other words, each page's URL has a "browse/bysomething" in it.) The URLs also have numbers in them when browsing by recent. Are any of these links permanent (to make sharing easier)? If not, that would be a helpful change.

Thanks again for all your work. I just found a sketch from another teacher that will be really helpful for my class this week.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherdraper View Post
    When sharing a sketch with other teachers, I noticed that the URL for each sketch is relative to your navigation. (In other words, each page's URL has a "browse/bysomething" in it.) The URLs also have numbers in them when browsing by recent. Are any of these links permanent (to make sharing easier)? If not, that would be a helpful change.

Thanks again for all your work. I just found a sketch from another teacher that will be really helpful for my class this week.
    @teacherdraper,

Great question. The answer is yes, the links are relatively permanent, but you can improve the robustness of the url by editing it. For example, take this activity that I found by browsing in Elementary activities: http://sketchexchange.keypress.com/b...-secret-number
    If the author decides to reclassify the level of this activity from Elementary to High School, then this link won't be valid any more.
    However, if I edit the breadcrumb part of the link, I can get a more robust url: http://sketchexchange.keypress.com/s...-secret-number

So, edit the link and replace /browse/.../.../.../#/i.d.# with /sketch/view/i.d.#.

Unfortunately, the only time this direct link is used is when an activity is featured, and you click on its link from the Featured box. I agree that links are very useful for referencing activities, especially now that we are getting a lot of contributions, so this is definitely something to think about for the next version of Sketch Exchange.

I'm glad you are finding the site useful!

Elizabeth,
    This site is a fabulous idea. I'm trying to think of ways to get more traffic through here and more people involved in the posting and replying of messages. I see that you can subscribe to a thread, but I am not sure how many people make use of that feature. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a way to communicate with those who post sketches directly in their posted sketch? I would like to hear comments and suggestions from other users on sketches I have posted and sketches I have downloaded. The ability to post on the page is nice, but if there was a way to have a discussion, I think that would help traffic.

Yes, this is a good suggestion. I think that allowing users to comment on sketches without having to rate them might generate more comments and some back-and-forth on sketches. For now, if you have a sketch that you want to get help with or feedback on, the best bet is to post it to the forum and ask for help/suggestions with it. I *hope* that people are aware that you can subscribe to a thread, but maybe I should highlight that feature. Thanks for your ideas!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ams20518 View Post
    Elizabeth, I did figure out how to subscribe, but subscribing sends emails. It would be nice to mark useful threads as "favorites" if it is a piece of information that you know you will want to refer back to. (Other sites have an option of "Favorites" as well as subscribing.)
    Kind of a late reply, but you could just put useful threads as favorites with your browser.

EDIT: I didn't see how many pages this had, sorry for the late reply.
    Last edited by Skate1168; 03-10-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: I didn't see how many pages this thread had.

Great site! A few suggestions:
    1. Add "number theory" as a topic.
    2. Is there a way to search for keywords--either by tags or within sketch descriptions? I only see the ability to browse.
    3. I second the idea of being able to sort sketches by author.

Keep up the great work! This is a good way for people to share their sketches.

Thanks, Aaron!
    Right now you can only browse by tags or content categories. Adding search functionality is high up on my list for the next version of Sketch Exchange.
    By the way, your Spirograph sketch is pretty addictive. Thanks for all of the great sketches you have contributed to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth DeCarli View Post
    By the way, your Spirograph sketch is pretty addictive.
    Thanks! I thought so too. I think I spent as much time playing with it as I did creating it!

Is there a way to type in a key word and search for sketches? I can't find it. All I can see is ways to browse, and this takes forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CDR88 View Post
    Is there a way to type in a key word and search for sketches? I can't find it. All I can see is ways to browse, and this takes forever.
    No, but we will be adding search functionality in the next iteration. I will try to do a bit of clean up of grade levels, tags, and categories in the meantime to make it easier to find what you need. Thanks for your patience!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast