+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sketch Exchange Suggestions

Actually, tagging posts with the username is a great idea. Would it be a quick change to do that automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by teacherdraper View Post
    Actually, tagging posts with the username is a great idea. Would it be a quick change to do that automatically?
    Well, to be honest, we'd like to get all the kinks worked out with the current set of features before adding any new features (and new bugs)! In other words, this is a future-feature-ideas thread rather than a do-now-ideas thread.

I teach an introduction to computers class and we have Sketchpad on our computers. I have been trying to find some materials/instructions on how to create different files. I found step-by-step directions on how to make Ferris wheels, solar systems, and kaleidoscopes. Other than these 3, most of what I have found are downloadable .gsp files already set up, where students click on a button and everything is done for them. I would like to have some step-by-step directions on how to create .gsp files.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherJ View Post
    I teach an introduction to computers class and we have Sketchpad on our computers. I have been trying to find some materials/instructions on how to create different files. I found step-by-step directions on how to make Ferris wheels, solar systems, and kaleidoscopes. Other than these 3, most of what I have found are downloadable .gsp files already set up, where students click on a button and everything is done for them. I would like to have some step-by-step directions on how to create .gsp files.
    Hi Teacher J,
    I put your post on a new thread called "Requests for Posts", because your request is more about the content people are posting than the features of the site. I hope someone comes through for you!

Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherJ View Post
    TeacherJ, Many times I learn to construct sketches by Right clicking an item and going into properties. You can see a description of how the item was made. You can also choose to view the parent. And then you can make the parent visible if needed. Sometimes, if the sketch is simpler, Display|Show All Hidden helps. Then in GSP5 you can use the info button. But if the sketch is
    complex, then there can be many items and going through the process of studying parents really helps. But, I am so excited about this community so that I can learn via others on the site!
    Amber M. Smith
    Secondary Math Curriculum Technology Coach
    Cypress-Fairbanks ISD
    http://tinyurl.com/AmberSmithcfisd

Thanks for the advice. However, since I am not a math teacher I may be at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to creating sketches.

How about a search bar to look for sketchpad activities? Currently, it looks like the user has to either browse for activities by tags or the filters. It would be convenient to be able to search for keywords for a particular topic.

NYrunner-– yes, a search function is high priority for Version 1.1 of Sketch Exchange. I hope the tag cloud and topic/grade level browsing will suffice for now, but I think a search will be essential as the number of activities grows!

five-star ratings are outdated. even YouTube has converted to like/dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by liuyao View Post
    five-star ratings are outdated. even YouTube has converted to like/dislike.
    Thanks for your comment––I've been thinking about a better way to highlight excellent sketches/activities. I like the idea of a "Recommend" or "Like" instead of a star rating, although I'm not sure a "dislike" is needed. I also think we should make it possible to comment on a sketch without rating it. I'd really like to hear from others about this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast