+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How did this happen?

How did this happen?

Hi,

One of my students turned in a sketch with a function plotted. when I place the arrow/pointer near one of the end points, I get an arrow icon that I am not familiar with. If I click and drag with this new arrow, I can change the domain of the function without going into properties. Here's a short screencast of what I am describing:

http://screencast.com/t/j7lkkpw2

I can't find the setting that has made this possible and I'd like to recreate it on purpose in the future! ;-) Can anyone help shed some light on this cool feature?

Thank you,
    Margaret Patterson
    Intl School of Brussels

Sketchpad Developer
    Hi Margaret,

We're very happy that you like this feature. For more information, look up Function Plots in the Reference Center (Help | Objects | Function Plots). That Help topic has a section on Changing the Domain of a Function Plot, which contains the following information:

----------------------
    When you plot a function, the domain is initially set to the width of the Sketchpad window.

To change the domain, you can:

•Select the function plot, choose Edit | Properties | Plot, and enter new values for the ends of the domain.

•Use the Arrow tool to drag the arrowheads that appears at the ends of the function plot.

Drag in the direction that the arrowhead points to increase the length of the plot; drag in the opposite direction to decrease the length of the plot.

Note

To determine whether the arrowheads appear, choose Edit | Properties | Plot.
    --------------

By the way, the same arrowheads can appear on certain geometric loci. See the Reference Center topic on Objects | Loci for more information on the loci for this this feature is useful.

Happy sketching!
    --Scott

+ Reply to Thread