+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scales on sketches

Scales on sketches

I am interested in graphing the functions y=x^3 and y=e^x on the same sketch but want to, somehow, make the vertical scale go from 0 to 12000 so that I see the whole range on the sketch without scrolling. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Scales on sketches

In Sketchpad 5, choose Graph | Grid Form | Rectangular Grid. Then you can adjust the vertical axis independently. However, when I tried this with your functions I got "stuck" at tick marks of 100, so I can't see the y-value of 12000 without scrolling. Someone else may have a better answer!

The forum won't let me upload my example sketch, so I will report this bug and see if I can post it later.

Update: The forum will now allow sketches to be attached to posts. See attachment for my example.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Elizabeth DeCarli; 10-28-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Sketchpad Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth DeCarli View Post
    I got "stuck" at tick marks of 100, so I can't see the y-value of 12000 without scrolling. Someone else may have a better answer!
    Your method works fine up to the dragging limit, which is 1 unit = 0.1 pixel. To set an arbitrary scale, use a distance measurement rather than a unit point to define your coordinate system. For instance, if you create a parameter named scale with a value of 0.0001 pixel, you can select your scale parameter and choose Graph | Define Unit Distance. Then each 0.0001 pixel is a unit, so the value 100 pixels from the origin will be a million (100 pix/0.0001 pix = 1 000 000). By editing the parameter, or even connecting the parameter to a slider or other construction, you can change the scale at will.

John, the limitation on dragging is unfortunate but necessary. If there were no limit, dragging the unit point all the way to the origin would result in an infinitely small unit distance. Fortunately the dragging limit of 0.1 pixel for the unit point is adequate for most graphing, and the Define Unit Distance command (described above) allows you to extend the scale to practically any limit you like.

There are actually lots of ways to define a coordinate system. For a full list, look up Help | Menus | Graph | Define Coordinate System.

Thanks Stek! That is so good to know! I am just playing around with this method. So here is what I did:
    I made an adjustable slider called a. Then Number--Calculate: a*1pixel. Then select a*1pixel and "Graph--Define Unit Distance". Now I can adjust my graph with this slider. Can quickly zoom in and out to any distance.

Now I'm wondering if I could do a similar method with a rectangular grid (and be able to control the horizontal and vertical)?

Sketchpad Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by ams20518 View Post
    Now I'm wondering if I could do a similar method with a rectangular grid (and be able to control the horizontal and vertical)?
    Absolutely, you can. Select both values (and optionally, an origin point) when you define your coordinate system. The command will be plural: Define Unit Distances. The first selected value will be used for the x-axis, and the second for the y-axis.

This option, and several others, are described in the Reference Center: Help | Menus | Graph | Define Coordinate System.

Thanks Stek! What is the website URL for the reference center?

http://learningcenter.dynamicgeometr...ter/index.html is returning an error message (404).
    Amber M. Smith
    Secondary Math Curriculum Technology Coach
    Cypress-Fairbanks ISD
    http://tinyurl.com/AmberSmithcfisd

I noticed...

That if you "GO Advanced" on the reply, then you can rate a thread as "Excellent", etc. Unfortunately, it seems like it forces a reply if you want to rate the thread.
    Amber M. Smith
    Secondary Math Curriculum Technology Coach
    Cypress-Fairbanks ISD
    http://tinyurl.com/AmberSmithcfisd

Sketchpad Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by ams20518 View Post
    What is the website URL for the reference center?
    The Reference Center is local, available from the Help menu. We did this so that you always have it, even when you're not connected to the Internet. If you're still using GSP4, go to Help | Keyboard | The Esc Key.

+ Reply to Thread