+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How can a Square root spiral be constructed using GSP?

Question How can a Square root spiral be constructed using GSP?

We need to rotate a point by 90 degrees keeping a distance fixed. Imagine we have a triangle DBC where BC is base and DB is perpendicular. <DBC is 90 degrees. BC = DB.

How can we rotate point C by 90 degrees taking point D as a center at a distance which is equal to BD?
    Last edited by Vicky_1984; 05-08-2012 at 12:20 AM.

I found out the way out. The GSP file has been shared on Sketchexchange. If anyone has a better way of constructing this spiral. Please let me know. Thanks...

Sketchpad Developer

Square Root Spiral (Multiple Approaches)

Hi Vicky, I don't know about "better" when your construction works quite nicely, but like so many interesting mathematical challenges, this one offers a variety of approaches. So I took your question seriously and posted a sketch that contains your construction on page 1, another construction on page 2 that makes it possible to change the size of the starting triangle, and a third construction on page 3 that uses iteration so that it's easy to increse or decrease the depth. Perhaps you (and/or others) may find the alternatives interesting. Here's the link:

http://sketchexchange.keypress.com/s...t-spiral-redux
    Last edited by Stek; 05-09-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks for sharing the info..I liked the dynamic nature of your sketches where the size can be changed.... And by the way I am a male so please use 'he or him' instead of 'she or her' while addressing me.

Sketchpad Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicky_1984 View Post
    please use 'he or him' instead of 'she or her' while addressing me.
    Oops. Sorry for making an incorrect assumption. I've edited the pronouns in the posted sketch accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread